CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) FRAUDSTERS ARE AT IT AGAIN
Woodstock Police have received several calls from the public in regards to calls they are receiving where fraudsters are stating they are from Canada Revenue Agency. The fraudsters are threatening and aggressive in manner and will state that you owe money and will be arrested should you not provide payment.
Police, Canada Revenue Agency and Canadian Anti-Fraud are aware of this fraud.
Police recommend that you only report this type of fraud if you have provided any personal information to the fraudsters, if you have become a victim of identity theft or a victim of fraud.
You should report deceptive telemarketers to http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/or by calling Canadian Anti-Fraud Center at 1-888-495-8501.
Fraud Prevention Tips
- Do not call these people back
- Do not provide any personal information such as social insurance number, credit card number, bank account information or passport numbers.
- If you are pressured to access a fraudulent website don’t
- The CRA will never ask you to provide personal information by email
- Be suspicious if asked to pay taxes or fees on lottery or sweepstakes winnings – this is a scam
- Never share access codes, user ID, or PIN numbers
- Make sure you choose a trusted tax preparer